Found on the northern coast of California, Sonoma is one of the largest of nine counties that combine to form the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition, Sonoma County is considered by many to be part of California’s famous “wine country,” and in fact borders Napa and Mendocino Counties. In addition to being a rich producer of wine, Sonoma County is also known for its high production of poultry, hops, apples, and dairy products. Individuals who are interested in learning more about Sonoma County may want t study its wineries, dining facilities, and entertainment options. In addition, learning more about the transportation, events, and tourism and lodging found in Sonoma County is important for individuals interested in this unique part of the United States.
As mentioned above, wine is king when it comes to Sonoma County. In fact, Sonoma County is the leading producer of wine in the United States, far out producing nearby Napa Valley. While there are a number of well-known wineries in Sonoma County, the most famous include the B. R. Cohn Winery and the Charles Creek Vineyard. In addition, the D’Agostini Winery, De Loach Vineyards, Kendall-Jackson Winery, and Kistler Vineyards continue to produce some of the best wine not only in the state, but in the entire world.
- J Vineyards and Winery
- Gloria Ferrer Caves and Vineyards
- St. Francis Winery and Vineyards
- Kenwood Vineyards
- Ledson Winery and Vineyards
- Matanzas Creek Winery
- Arrowood Vineyards and Winery
- Gundlach Bundschu
- Ravenswood Winery
- Iron Horse Vineyards
Dining is also an important industry in bustling Sonoma County. Bordering the Pacific Ocean, it should be of no surprise that fresh seafood is plentiful in both casual and fine dining restaurants within the county. In addition, Sonoma County’s relatively close proximity to Mexico means that unique Latin flavors can be found in many restaurants in the region. Regardless of one’s personal tastes and preferences, travelers to Sonoma County will not be disappointed when it comes to meal times.
- Cyrus Restaurant
- Madrona Manor
- Vinters Inn
- Bistro Ralph
- Zin Restaurant and Wine Bar
- Applewood Inn and Restaurant
- River’s End Restaurant and Inn
- Calistoga Inn Restaurant and Brewery
Though many individuals travel to Sonoma County for the wine tasting alone, there are a number of other forms of entertainment that may be experienced. Various instrumental and vocal concerts abound in Sonoma County, making it a great destination for music enthusiasts. In addition, individuals who enjoy visiting art galleries or museums will find numerous sites dedicated to the presentation of images depicting both ocean and terrestrial scenes. Finally, plays, operas, and other cultural events are available for individuals interested in unique forms of entertainment in Sonoma County.
- Bodega Bay Art Gallery
- Graton Gallery
- Sonoma County Art Gallery Group
- Sonoma County Museum
- Sonoma Valley Museum of Art
- Pacific Coast Air Museum
- Cinnabar Theater
- Sonoma County Repertory Theater
- American Philharmonic Sonoma County
- Cantiamo Sonoma
As with other parts of California, the public transportation system in Sonoma County is quite advanced. In fact, Sonoma County Transit not only provides transportation within the county, but also connects with systems that run in neighboring parts of the state. Individuals who are not interested in taking public transportation can easily rent a car, truck, or SUV from one of the many facilities located within the county. In addition, more adventurous individuals may choose to ride a bicycle, horse, or even hike throughout the beautiful region.
- Sonoma County Transit
- Sonoma County Transportation Authority
- Sonoma County Airport Express
- County of Sonoma Transportation and Public Works
- Ground Transportation
- Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition
- Cycle Sonoma
- Let’s Go Horseback Riding!
- Sonoma County Horse Council
- Apple Creek Training and Lesson Center
Each year, there are a number of events in Sonoma County in which interested travelers or residents may wish to take part. Some of these include Gloria Ferrer’s Annual Catalan Festival, the Olive Festival, and the Sonoma International Film Festival. In addition, the Old Time Fiddle Contest, the Winter Wineland, and the Russian River Jazz and Blues Festival are enjoyable events that may be appreciated by individuals traveling to Sonoma County. Individuals who are considering a trip to Sonoma County may want to identify events that they wish to attend ahead to time to ensure proper trip timing.
- The Sonoma County Fairgrounds
- Sonoma County Events Calendar
- Harmony Festival
- Bodega Seafood, Art and Wine Festival
- West of the West Festival
- Santa Rosa International Film Festival
- Sonoma County Bluegrass and Folk Festival
- Sonoma County Book Festival
- Olive Festival
- Sonoma County Harvest Fair
Tourism is an important industry in Sonoma County. In fact, research suggests that as many as 7.4 million people travel to this part of the country this year. Individuals who are considering a trip to Sonoma County should plan lodging and transportation well in advance to ensure optimal results. In some cases, working with a travel agent can be an effective way to ensure facilities will be available when required.
- Annual Tourism Report
- Event and Tourism Resources
- Sonoma County Tourism “Bright Spot” in 2011
- Sonoma County Tourism Bureau Improvement Area (BIA) Assessment
- Sonoma County Tourism Bureau
- Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce
- Sonoma County: Sonoma County Tourism Bureau
- Santa Rosa Convention and Visitor’s Bureau
- Tourism, Hospitality, and Wine Industries
- National Travel and Tourism Week