Love red wines and want to create a California wine tour around what you like best? Go for it!
Study the wineries throughout the state, or get in touch with Authentic Wine Country, and create the tour customized for you. Below, we give you an example of the tour made for a favorite California red.
Zinfandel is THE red wine of California. So, here we give you the top ten tour of California’s flagship wine at our favorite Zinfandel wineries:
1) Caymus Vineyards: We love Caymus. Gracious and lovely, it is everything a winery should be. They also produce a zinfandel that is extraordinary and available only at their winery.
2) Mayo Family Winery: Another winery we love. A family winery in the Sonoma Valley, complete with the Mayo Dog, they do pairings with California cuisine created by two terrific chefs. Taste their zinfandel port. Delicious.
3) Gundlach Bundschu Winery: One of the most historic wineries in CA, this Sonoma winery has plenty to look at and a limited edition version of Zinfandel.
4) Ravenswood Vineyards: Their battle cry is that they make no wimpy wines! Believe it. They make over a dozen zinfandels, and also offer a blending class.
5) Ridge Vineyards: Ridge is one of the best-known winemakers of classic Northern CA zinfandel. It is a must stop, must taste!
6) Frog’s Leap: Into organic? Frog’s Leap has created a zinfandel that is truly one to love.
7) Beauregard Vineyards is the place to stop as you’re headed south from Sonoma and Napa. They use wild yeast to create their special Zinfandel. Fantastic!
8) Saucelito Canyon Vineyards is located in that central soul of CA, San Luis Obispo. Some of their vineyards were planted in the 1880s. These old vines are still producing tasty, hearty zins that will knock your socks off.
9) Hunt Cellars: Love the look of zin, but can’t get past that bite some of us love so well? Try Hunt Cellars in Paso Robles. Their zin is smooth and packs a wallop of taste
10) Newsome-Harlow Wines is in the Sierra Foothills in that Old West town of Murphys. Their zinfandel is chewy and named after the Donner Party. Another zin with a sense of humor. Go for it!